Becoming Cooks!
Yesterday, Mally and I spent the day learning Thai culinary skills. TubTim, the founder of the "Thai Chocolate Cooking School", picked us up from our hotel, fed us some delicious fruit for breakfast, and then sent us off to the local market for a lesson on Thai ingredients. We learned about different kinds of rice, spices, vegetables, and fruits. All sorts of foods exist that I never knew about.
We then returned to the cooking school and began our first dish - spring rolls. An instructor guided us step by step through the process and in the end, we had something that resembled a spring roll and tasted like one too! I thought they tasted quite good, but I was also quite hungry... as the day wore on and I got to dish number 6, I was not quite as enthusiastic about my cooking. Aside from the spring rolls, we made red curry, basil chicken (with a veg. substitute), a mushroom vegetable stirfry, pad thai (my favorite!), and sticky mango rice.
Cooking is quite fun when all the ingredients are set out for you and you don't have to clean up after yourself. In fact, I volunteer to cook for anyone who sets out my ingredients and cleans up the kitchen for me! We left with cookbooks of our own, so hopefully I can recreate a few of the creations I learned.
2 Comments:
I am looking forward to you recreating some of those dishes...and I will do the dishes!!
-Liz
Oh boy you are making me hungry! That sounds great!. Hold onto that Thai cookbook because I am so looking forward to a nice Thai meal.
Enjoy!
Love from Lorraine
Post a Comment
<< Home